Maybe you are new to erotic japanese comics, so if that’s the case, you’ll be flooded with weird uncomprehensible words.
My two cents : a small explanation.
- Hentai : basically, in japanese that means “something with sexual content”, stands like a synonym for “perverted”, today that refers to japanese-style erotic works drawn by hand or with a computer, displayed on video or on a paper.
- Manga : any drawn printed work, you would call that a comic.
- Mangaka : the artist that draws mangas.
Important : regarding the two following definitions, manga and doujin. I’ve seen other explanations, with the term doujinshi.
It seems that several people will can a hentai parody “a doujinshi”, I might switch to that usage some day. Until I have time to consider updating every single entry on my blog, or at least explain clearly a naming change, I’ll stick to what’s written below.
- Original manga : originally, that is a manga that isn’t inspired from anything else, that is a real original creation. Most of the rest of the time, the meaning has gained one addition, the name “original” manga now also implies it is written in japanese language and has no translation. I hesitated for a long time as to which meaning to chose, I picked the first one : not a parody = a manga.
- Doujin : also called Parody. Now, that means a manga drawn to imitate something already known, like a TV serie, or another manga (for instance Gundam). In the origin, that meant a non-professional, non-commercial work.
- Anime : a video japanese cartoon (hentai or not). For instance, Card Captor Sakura can be seen in manga (paper comic books) and as an anime TV (cartoon).
- CG, Computer Graphics : most hentai works are drawn by hand, or mainly rely on hand work, even if photoshop helps. But the japanese are fond of hentai games, with totally computer-made pictures. Those hentai computer-generated pictures are ripped off the games to become CG pictures.
- Ecchi (letter H pronounced in japanese) : softcore hentai content. Also refers to “in a sexual mood” : «you’re so H»
- Yaoi : gay hentai content, softcore or not.
- Futanari : girls with a dick, also called dickgirls, “DG“. That is rather popular in japanese comics, it seems many readers find that exciting. Definitely not my cup of tea, personally. I’d recommend you read that discussion about “real” dickgirls, that’s interesting !
- Loli, Lolicon : underage girls in hentai relations. The japanese seem to be immune to some taboos, and interest in underage girls seems to be one of those. If you don’t mind, i’m going to puke.
If you are a lolicon lover, this is entirely your right, just as expressing loudly I dislike it is my own right, no discussion, and it’s legal as long as it is mere drawings. Please then, just also accept the fact you should also be capable of saying out loud “I masturbate to the idea of having sex with girls that aren’t even ten years old”, unless you are incapable of facing your own hypocrisy. (“Troll Of The Year Platinum Grade”)
- Shotacon, Shota : same as loli, but with underage boys. I’m sometimes slightly more tolerant when it’s borderline and not full shota, because boys can’t have sex unless they agree to this body and soul (meaning : getting an erection). Apparently the adult Japanese women are told be have a fetish for cute young boys (I wonder if that’s true.)
- Bakunyuu : japanese word for hentai with BIG tits, cf above :P
I must confess I’ve never had sex with a woman having breasts large enough to perform a titfuck to me, so this is a gigantic fetish of mine. And my wife (yes : I’m in a long term relationship) having breasts too small for that, I don’t stand many chances to ever know how it feels T_T
- Censorship : Until this decade, japanese law prohibited showing human pubic hair and female sexual parts. This is why the hentai mangas are so different from western porn comics, the drawers were forced to learn how to make a drawing attractive and exciting without revealing a wide open vagina, a giant dick or even a pubis. That is why female hentai girls can be so exciting even with half of their clothes on, their body is beautifully drawn, their position is exciting, the art of suggestion and to place the reader in the fucker’s position is perfectly managed.
Now, I don’t know if the law still exists, but nobody respects it anymore in hentai mangas, even if it’s still respected in most hentai anime.
- Tentacles : one of the fantasies I hate most, even if it IS handy : when you can’t represent a dick, you are allowed to represent tentacles. Japanese legislators can’t think of everything, can they ?
- OL, Office Lady : Japanese women who work in company offices wear very strict clothes, sometimes a company uniform or else “business clothes”, not very sexy but always rather fitting, with stockings. 90% of japanese men dream of ripping apart these clothes before proceeding to the next step. 0.x% of men will finally do that, but their consolation is groping the asses of the OLs in the overpopulated trains and metros (more info). OLs are reputated for not daring defend themselves, and suffer humiliation in silence. Why doesn’t it work like that in Europe or America ? :-(
- Incest : the most successful theme EVER in hentai. The stats don’t lie, every of my posts with “incest” in the title will be watched and downloaded 50% more than the rest of my uploads. (Update 5 years after this entry was first written : incest is now much less popular than it used to be, surprisingly O_o)
I don’t know what makes people love this theme, since I don’t feel interest for this myself, I can only make some simple observations and suppositions. About mother incest, 90% of the mothers in incest mangas make the first step and almost push their boys into doing it. About sister incest, 90% of the sisters are depicted as almost braindead stupid chicks devoured by a desire their lack of brains won’t allow them to satisfy correctly.
Fill in the gaps, that adresses the two main problems for the average internet-using teenager, japanese or occidental : lack of experience and difficulty to find a girl willing to have sexual relations with a good for nothing nerd sitting before his screen instead of having social relations.
- Guro : not all hentai is beautiful and sane. There are freaks who will enjoy seeing torn bodies, extreme sadistic behaviour, blood, internal organs that shouldn’t have been exposed to the outside. That is “guro”, not anything related to grotesque, even if that’s the origin of the word. You want an example ? “Killer Panda” is a manga in which a panda-monster kills women, dismembers their bodies and rapes the body parts. Ew.
- Scenario : atomic physicians desperately try to find if photons have a mass or not. Hentai readers are roughly in the same questioning position when they read translated hentai works, only they don’t care about quantum physics but about the existence of a real scenario behind the fuck scenes.
You will sometimes find a real scenario, nothing is impossible. You will even find sometimes a scenario in an incest-based hentai manga : really, nothing is impossible.
- Rape (hentai rape) : this is when a girl makes her best to hide she totally enjoys being fucked without permission. Please, do NOT make the confusion with real life rape, in which an asshole deserving ablation of the balls destroys the life and psyche of a woman in exchange of a 5 seconds long orgasm : hentai rape only exists in hentai comics and videos. Here’s an illustration picture (source).
The artist Black Dog is a specialist of hentai rape, for instance.
- Tsundere : oh sweet hentai goodness ! Tsundere refers to girls with a violent, irritable and ready-to-explode character, who will suddenly become soft, sweet, and incredibly cute. That’s one of the key ingredients to easily create a pleasant and funny hentai scenario.
- Yandere : in hentai mangas, this term refers to mentally unbalanced girls who are crazy (litterally speaking) for sex with another precise person. They’re potentially violent, unpredictable, but incredibly passionate when they have sex. This is scary, fascinating, and super hot.
You may appreciate a graphical yandere-tsundere disambiguation.
- Nekomimi : basically, a japanese-style catgirl. That implies cat ears, a weirdly bent wrist, and telling “nya” (Japan’s “meow”) from times to times. Hot by principle.
Appropriate quotation : « There’s nothing more beautiful than the love between a man and a catgirl. Unless she’s also an android. » (by Maxchain – source)
- Tankoubon : this term refers to a full manga as you can buy it anywhere, with good paperback quality and good printed pictures, as opposed to low quality magazine prepublications.
Just in case you don’t know the japanese market : there are several hentai and non-hentai manga magazines, in which artists publish one-chapter-long stories of all sorts. Their paper is thin, their censorship mostly heavy, and their printing quality is average in the best case. The most popular artists (there are customer polls) are welcome to come back in the next issues. And very popular artists who have created a long enough stream of popular works can publish a tankoubon (the “official manga” as us westerners know it) version of their works, with much better picture quality and a few edits if they feel like making them, it pays them best.
I suggest you discover the (non-hentai) manga called Bakuman, it shows the life of young mangakas just starting working in the professional mangaka scene, it is extremely interesting to have an insider’s view onto the Japanese manga market.
- NTR (Netorare) : my definition isn’t perfect, but let’s say it means “ugly treason of the partner’s trust”. A woman’s adultery while the husband is killing himself to earn money for his wife is NTR, for instance, whereas the husband happily lending his wife to a group of pervs while he enjoys the show isn’t NTR. Simply cheating on one’s boyfriend would be NTR already, if that boyfriend is the candid trusting type begging to have his dreams crushed. OK ?
NTR may lead to “rage hentai”, stories that make you wish you could kick the characters in the face, or, to the contrary, put you in a solid depressive state for a pair of hours. Or leave you unconcerned.
I feel that NTR is the closest to “real” fiction (as ugly as real life, while the rest of hentai puts the real world at bay), and the closest to offering you a good old catharsis.
- Netori : Sometimes seen as “nettori” (like when I forget to read twice what I’m writing *cough*). Stealing someone’s girlfriend or wife. This is very different from netorare, this doesn’t necessarily imply painful feelings and drama, the girl can also jump into somebody else’s arms quite willingly. If the husband’s feelings are crushed or he’s depicted as naive shitty oblivious idiot, then this becomes netorare (cf above).
- ABPEA : THE hentai newsgroup that allowed me to really discover hentai. I don’t even know if it is still active to this day, but I can tell you that, a decade ago, you could find ten new complete untranslated mangas per day, scanned and entirely available, with an active community taking part in discussions and all. I remember Max Bigfoot, now a member of Rapture Scans, was the biggest contributor If you’re into newsgroups browsing, the full name is alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.anime , try it !
- Shinsouban : that word can be broken down to “shin”, “sou” and “ban”. They mean “new”, “cover” and “edition” respectively : this is the re-edition in much better quality of an old manga only available, so far, in ugly quality, with potentially improved details, scenes re-made, better dialogues, etc.
- Rewrite : take a Japanese hentai manga, long or short. It’s in Japanese. Then open MS-Paint, chose an ugly font (Comic Sans MS is recommended, best without antialiasing), delete the japanese texts, and write random imaginary crap in place of the original dialogues, without taste or at least again common sense. Guidelines : (1) the male char is best named Kenji or Kirk. (2) It IS incest, better remind it in every speech bubble. (3) Cleaning is for the weak, if you ever knew what cleaning is. (4) High picture resolution is a bother to users with a 800×600 screen, please resize the pictures to a smaller size.
Some people are proud to engage in this.
- Shimapan : striped panties. Incredibly popular. Also defying the laws of physics (as in Sora No Otoshimono) and incredibly sticking to every square millimeter of female flesh even when the fabric should be making a bridge over crevices – as all hentai panties, bless them.
- Wizard : funny otaku, hikikomori and NEET fake-belief that a person who remained a virgin till the age of 30 becomes a wizard. My personal advice : if you really see that you don’t manage to seduce a girl and the years pass, and pass, and pass (meaning : you’re over 25, not over 18 ), fuck it, save money and pay yourself a good prostitute (not a cheap one that’ll ruin it). And once your cherry is popped, your chances to taste some unpaid pussy/dick in the future will be considerably larger already (ten times more self-confidence and ten times less despaired, the potential partners will see the difference on your face and might stop running away at first sight), plus you’ll have had sex !
- Vanilla : happy sex, basically. Sex feeling good, between parters glad to have it, and caring enough about each other’s pleasure. May or may not be “with love”, not everyone agrees on this.
- Onahole : also called sex sleeve, or pucket pussy. Silicon tube inside a handy plastic form in which a man may insert his penis and fap until he forgets a pussy feels better. The most popular onahole makers are Fleshlight (in USA) and Tenga (in Japan). The fleshlights are huge and look infamous, the tengas are super cute and look amusing.
- Mise en abyme : this French expression could be a self-narrative version of “breaking the fourth wall”, as if the story contains a mirror sending you your own surprised reflection.
“Breaking the 4th” wall shatters the comfortable willing suspension of disbelief (thank you, Coleridge, for that notion), the mangaka clearly tells us “that’s just fiction, don’t forget it”, while, on the other hand, a mise en abyme is closer to a simple “wink !” from the artist, the fictional characters mentioning fiction without still realizing they’re part of one.
Only focusing on what it means in mangas, this is when, inside a manga you’re reading, a character suddenly says to another character “you’re acting as if you were in a manga, dude” or “hey, that should only happen in mangas !”. Inception ! See what I mean ? That will frequently cover hentai stories in which the hero/heroine works as hentai mangaka.
The most beautiful and artistic mise-en-abyme I saw so far has been in the movie The Truman Show. There is a lachrymal scene in which we see sequences of Truman’s younger days, displayed on a large screen watched by the show’s producer. There is a sad, touching, moving, harrowing music, you can almost feel the tenderness and yet the cold cruelty the producer is feeling towards this poor, oblivious, innocent Truman. The camera zooms out. Until you finally see there was a piano, with a guy playing the lachrymal music. The moment I saw that piano being played was one of those “transcendency” moments letting me know I was watching a REALLY great movie
- pettanko : that refers to a girl without noticeable feminine body specs. Flat as a board, weak hips to raist ratio. That usually goes well with tomboy style girls.
Please do NOT confuse pettanko with lolicon (explained above), it’s not a matter of age but a matter of body shape, here. If a girl is too young, no matter what he body is like, this is lolicon. If she’s flat as a board with straight hips, this is sad but it may also happen to girls of age, and then that is pettanko.
28 Responses to ' Glossary and explanation of the words '
You liked it ? Hated it ? You've got additional information and links ? Or did you see broken links (please report them, I will reupload it) ? Bring more life here, participate, add a comment ;-)
If you report a dead link, please, tell me what is the precise dead hyperlink and the precise error. Never forget to try again !
Show your avatar in the comments »