A manga recommendation : “Hotel : Since 2079”, by Boichi

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (28 votes, average: 4.43 out of 5)
By Oliver (AKA the Admin) on 37 comments
in Categories: Just Talking
Tags: comedy

This is absolutely worth reading. No shit.

I really want to recommend you the manga called
Hotel : since 2079“, by Boichi !

This is a sci-fi tale about global warming, about the last inheritance of a guilty mankind, and questioning what’s a soul, and how love can overcome time and matter frontiers.

Scrap my description, on top of all, I found this was marvelously touching, moving, and certainly worth reading :)

You can read “Hotel : since 2079” on Batoto.net
(as a mahnwa, it’s read from left to right, like a western comic)

It was a joint project between Japanzai and Sunkenrock.com, and is the fruit of the work of Dennis, Weaper and Koro – thank you very much to you all ! :D

By Boichi, I also share the ecchi hilarious Space Chef Caisar and the very hardcore and just a tad less funny Lovers In Winters, No Means No and Personal Lesson Full Of Love.

Someone
Someone

I have already read but thanks for letting the other people know

MUST ADMIT IT WAS A AWESOME READ AND BRINGS IN NEW INSIGHTS ABOUT THE WAY WE SEE THE WORLD

darkalterkazuma
darkalterkazuma

i felt things a pervert has never felt before, and liked it thouroghly

pflernak
pflernak

ripped for my personal collection of fun one-liners

"Tricky?? but i finally managed to mastrubate to this video"

threetwo

Is this a revision of Bocchi story? since I have read a different version about 3 years ago. In fact I have a link here of that version: http://manga.animea.net/hotel-chapter-1%20(One%20

Someone
Someone
Reply to  threetwo

Actually it is the same story with a full color and slight changes in the designs.
(even i read this before reading this though)

Weaper
Reply to  Someone

this one is the original version that Boichi made in 2004 when he was still in Korea. The manga version is a remake made in 2008. The current version available is made by kotonoha but in medium qulity and with some error so we'll release a HQ version in less then a week.
wait for it ;)

Oliver AKA The Admin
Admin
Reply to  Weaper

HNG ! I'll wait a week, even if it's hard. Thank you =)

Oliver AKA The Admin
Admin
Reply to  threetwo

Hooooooooooooooooo O_O

I knew there were two versions :
– full color from serialization magazine, one-shot, full color, the one I'm sharing
– mangafied version, grayscale mostly, more arty, published 4 years later, I had no idea it was already translated and available for reading

So, thank you VERY MUCH for the link !

Anonymous
Anonymous

Hmm, interesting. From Boichi, aside from hentai, I only knew Sun-Ken Rock (which I highly reccomend by the way), I'll give this a try when I have time. Thanks for the suggestion ;D

Dylan
Dylan

Although it reminded me of an important narrative arc of 2001 Nights of Yukinobu Hoshino (and who has read the manga know which part I'm talking about), it's still a great work, Boichi is really talented. :)

hoccus
hoccus

Thanks Oliver for the recommendation, I liked it.

Inorite
Inorite

I believe everything except the descendants. Highly doubtful they would look human after 27 million years. We are all going to die, but there will be respite or salvation. I gave up on us long ago.

oblow20
oblow20
Reply to  Inorite

In the other version the descendants were better than this…I like that version is more touching!!! and more real!!!

Somebody
Somebody

Wow… j'aimais déjà bien Boichi, mais là… wow…

nicknack
nicknack

Man Oliver, as someone with a with an MS in stratigraphy I just have to say, well Morbo you should tell time.

Morbo: "GLOBAL WARMING TRENDS AND EUSTATIC SEA LEVEL DO NOT WORK THAT WAY GOOD NIGHT!"

Really man I have some sort of interest in the issue you should try the Journal of Climatology. Don't listen to the crap you here anywhere else, including from the UN. Everything is full of people trying to either play up or play down the trend for their own political reasons. Expect about a 1C increase in mean surface termperature by 2020 and a 0.9m rise in sea level. But we experience a 0.4C increase in temperature and a .4m rise in sea level over the last century so don't sweat it. Still kinda expensive to mitigate the erossive processes though and move some shit around, but over a hundred years the margins of cities will shift.

I will say that this did make be laugh my ass off though. 100C earth surface temperature? That is hilarious. In order to do that the planet would have to orbit near Venus. That is in fact what happened to Venus. But we don't receive enough energy from the sun to get the temperature up that high even if the oceans magically flashed to steam and acted as a greenhouse gas.

But then again I am a human supremacist, so my plan is this: http://pastebin.com/zp79qR2v.
For the Emperor!

Oliver AKA The Admin
Admin
Reply to  nicknack

This isn't hard science, this is sci-fi, you know. According to december's press, the current releases of methane and CO2 from the tundra and the seas would increase anthropic global warming by something like 30 celsius, so we're far from the catastrophe seen in this manga.
However, most of the warming gases have a too long lifespan and could cumulate for a very long time (even methane can last over a century), so even if a venusification cannot be ruled out, getting over seven degrees is far from being improbable, sadly. And models can hardly guess what's happening over 7°, it's still sci-fi at this point.

Lastly, about your supremacy plans, it's striking how it crosses the Manifold Trilogy (I'll let you google it.)
There's one problem against it : unless the human population falls to 100 million overnight, we'll exhaust natural resources LONG before we reach a technological level allowing such "dreams". There's not only an oil peak, but also a peak for a fuckton of metals too, sadly. Sorry for that last point I cannot give you documentation, the only good source I know (not written by leftist or anti-capitalists, but written by professionals working in that sector and officialy publishing as experts) is in French.

Sucks4us
Sucks4us

Well, the resource problem will solve itself, due to human nature. In the next decades, major, genocidal wars are going to break out over the last resources. Add to that the food crisis, which will hit critical, and we have a mass extinction event. Most of humanity will die. Maybe enough will live to continue.

Oliver AKA The Admin
Admin
Reply to  Sucks4us

Not sure about that scenario. But if it turns true, the trouble will be that maybe even a new Industrial Revolution won't be possible again. Even for coal, save very rare locations, the easy spots have been already exhausted, and now coal extraction requires high technical know-how.

See what I mean ? If humanity fails and falls back, making a comeback will be super-hard, given all the easy to get resources will have been exhausted.

Oliver AKA The Admin
Admin

Not increasing anthropic warming by 30 celsius, percent ! I meant : percent ! >_<

nicknack
nicknack

Ah that I understand. The Journal of Climatology in 2007 was trying to quantify the antropogenic contribution to the warming trend. There are several temperature cycles to account for: the sun spot cycle, the orbital perturbation cycle, and the solar emittence cycle. Then you have to eliminate the trend caused by the terminal ice-house trend. Then you can figure out the total contribution. They calculated it was about 70% anthropocentric and would be 80% by 2120. If the number you heard was right, they are claiming it will be 93% anthropogenic instead. But I have to go with the Journal of climatology instead. Besides if you look at my post below, the cheap oil runs out around the 2080s. Still plenty of coal and gas after that but you have no worries about the trend accelerating beyond 2200 or so. At that point the other stuff will start to get depleted. But I figure we will start switching to fission around 2050, regradless of what people want. Electricity demands will necessitate it to lower the price.

Oliver AKA The Admin
Admin
Reply to  nicknack

I replied below.

But fusion (because you meant fusion :D ) by 2050 is more optimistic than reason allows. We're not yet in pre-industrial testing, we're in pre-preparations testing. Not trolling reflecting "officials" from the sector ;)

Too bad the thorium reactors weren't favoured 50 years ago, but even then, them too require fissile materials to start reactions, now we're in 2011 it wouldn't make much of a difference.

y2k
y2k

Man, thanks for letting others know about this work. It is one of the most beautiful and touching works I have ever read before and it's insight and story make you think if things will happen as described in the mangá.

I know this site is only for hentai works, but sometimes, these really serious works make you think in new ways and contribute to the growth of the other readers and leechers here.

Oliver AKA The Admin
Admin
Reply to  y2k

Hehe, thanks :)

some guy
some guy

A very touching manga. Thank you.

Lordfly1
Lordfly1

If there are large deposits of methane and such at the bottom of the oceans, and their release would cause that much of a rise, why are more people not trying to stop. It looks like our impending annihilation is less than 100 years away.

Oliver AKA The Admin
Admin
Reply to  Lordfly1

Their release, according the recent scientific discussions, it seems, could cause an additional +30% in anthropic warming.

However, the "trigger" term is key : once a trigger is pushed, there's no stopping it.

There's the deep sea methane, the tundra methane.

Other weaker uncontrollable self-escalating global warming factors exist, some of them as a trigger, some others not.
Like water vapour, the #1 greenhouse gas, the warmer the air and seas get, the more there will be in the atmosphere.
Like forest fires : until a new forest grows back, that's a net rise in carbon in the air. If a forest is replaced by savanna, bingo.
There's the melting ice, if antarctica should be sprayed with pollution or have liquid water on its surface because of the heat, the albedo change would trigger more heat staying at home instead of boucing back.
Etcetera…

Meaning : if we screw up too badly and go too far, even if we do nothing, things will get even much worse for us.
Even if we don't go into a Venus Earth, this is still going to be the shit.

Oliver AKA The Admin
Admin
Reply to  Lordfly1

On a larger note : it's just like "we" deliberately let Copenhagen and Durban talks fail. Global stupidity and total lack of ability to envision even the middle term. We're still animals.

nicknack
nicknack

Forgive my previous incoherency I had almost fallen asleep since I just got back from a drilling rig. Also I'm not trying to convince you of my conclusions, I'm just throwing out stuff I read and journals I read them in so if you are really interested in this stuff you might know were to look. And I will use pastebin so I don't clutter your comments too bad. You need to see the actual data before you make any conclusions. Which is why I give a friendly warning, don't believe papers written by people who are "experts" but not actual scientists specialized in the pertinent field. Example: the Royal College of London put out a report about the cost of global warming. They didn't cite any geologic journal, including the Journal of Gulf Coastal Studies, the premiere journal with regards to sediment movement on coasts. MFW I have no face for how angry I was.

Methane stuff http://pastebin.com/hvUb3TZQ

Resources stuff. http://pastebin.com/dY4iTsU5

At any rate I think the whole nuclear bomb propelled spaceships thing is doable, given the situation.

Now I know that not everybody is a hick-xenocidal-batshit-mad scientist, so I understand if many people find my plans to be the very definition of evil. But I'm kinda a jerk, so that makes sense.

I suppose, like so much scifi this comic is just not for me. It has a message like a lot of scifi does. And messages, regardless of the political or moral position, have a tendency to boil my blood. I suppose the other thing that wierds me out is making those statements as though the setting supported them and then having total soft scifi bullshit throughout the book. Looking at you Heinlein, Ringo, Watts, Banks, and Clarke.

Oliver AKA The Admin
Admin
Reply to  nicknack

Methane
1 30C no, it's my, I wrote celsius instead of percent, grrrr
3, 5 praying it turns out true

Resources : we definitely don't trust the same sources :D Please not that the big shots, BP and Total, both issued huge warnings about sustaining their level of production.
Shell : we'd need 4 additional Saudis in ten years (and they don't have them, they said)
Don't also forget that extracting resources will require more energy than before. And more. And more. Ironically.
Breeder reactors are like fusion, a terribly huge bet on the future, if even one thing fails to work, we're doomed, and they both rely on the prayer that the country in which they work has strong military to protect these weak spots, and strong social stability (can you imagine a nuclear power plant inside a warring chaotic country, the risk it would represent.)

For the resources, I may agree to a certain point (about breeder reactors , like fusion, if they do work, there will be hope), but the fact is we're taking a bet on the future we never took before, betting that absolutely no obstacle shall be left un-beated. If one remains, it's the end.
Wow, that's a great prospect -_-

And you left out the point about metallic resources getting exhausted. Not everyone can get a new ipad and iphone every two years, for fuck's sake, as a specy this is utterly ridiculous.
(just an example ok?)

Oliver AKA The Admin
Admin

Maybe you can use that source, even if it's in French, to find other English sources, about metallic resources : http://www.amazon.fr/Quel-futur-pour-m%C3%A9taux-
This book was co-written by "big shots" working in the industrial and research sectors. It doesn't state hypothesis (whats the plural for hypothesis, lol ^.^) but facts, it's even more scary.

nicknack
nicknack

hypotheses

nicknack
nicknack

Nah you don't really need breeders, they just make it possible to fill the demand for electricity to (increasing 8% a yearly) for tens of thousands of years. Regular fission will do fine for a few thousand by itself if breeders turn out to be unprofitable. Though they are a proved technology not useless speculative crape like fusion power, I honestly doubt we will ever use confined fusion for anything on earth or in space.

As for sources, I never trust anything that is not from a peer reviewed scholarly journal of the natural sciences. Their models are predictive so they are tested by actually seeing if the conclusions are applicable to the real world. And they make you present your data and experimental methodology before you publish. And then come the rebuttals in the journal itself, there can be four year long arguments in Journals over the tiniest things. One article trying to refute the other.

Those Shell spokesmen talk out their asses, or they are being deliberately misleading. I've dealt with those suits before, though I deal with Exxon and Dominion(evilest name for a natural gas company ever, awesome). I work in Pennsylvania for moderate sized oil and gas company as their geologist. There is as much oil under north PA as their is under Saudi Arabia, but since our sandstones only have a porosity of about 8% compared to the vuggy carbonates of the Gulf which have a porosity of about 50%, we only get 10% of our reserve recovered in the first 10 years. They get 70% of their reserve out in the first 10. And you will never recover even half as much as the total Saudi reserve. But that also means our wells produce decades. We operate wells drilled in 1880 in Bradford PA, and get 10 barrels a day out of them.

Those suits not only need more prospects to keep profits steady, they "need" enough to keep the profit margin increasing and the rate of that increase increasting. They want cubic geometric growth, which is just ridiculous. Even with unlimited reserves you couldn't please them because human costs would go up with the number of employees and managing staff. They have unrealistic expectations for profit even when they are sitting pretty on a record profit margins.

As for metallic stuff I saw they were talking about magnesium, zinc, and copper primarily. Copper is not a real concern given the reserves I was informed of in school. Magnesium and zinc, and a few others are harder to get. One solution is to dynamite mid ocean ridges and haul up rubble. That stuff is the richest source of hydrothermally deposited ores for those metals. And it is easier than trying to sweep up those magnesium nodules, though maybe with better remote controlled vehicles it could become profitable. Most the US, Canada, and Iceland will profit most from that. Since they all have mid ocean ridges in relatively shallow water in their exclusive economic zones. There are other sources of those minerals in Africa, though they have been ignored since it is far cheaper to mine them at home and most regions have their own reserves.

Still you are right people spend frivolously. I have never owned an I-pod or any of those useless baubles, they are a waste of money. One computer is enough for me.

Gummetygger
Gummetygger

Thanks for sharing! – I saw it on Japanzai before seeing it here though. i like that you tend to spread quality manga even though they might not allways be H.

Thanks for a quality Blog!

Jim
Jim

My bet: nothing special will happen. Every generation believes that they are the last generation. There is always some upcoming doomsday event.

Oh, and thank you for the opportunity to combine hentai and discussion about the future of mankind – two of my most favorite things. Your site is a wonderful place.

iceacolyte
iceacolyte

Thanks Oliver. It definitely was worth a read.
Made me feel sad though – the fact that I can't do anything to slow humans' demise down – humans really are self-destructing creatures..

Too much technical discussion up here @_@ Sorry I can't follow the discussion >.<
Hopefully we can move ourselves towards a more sustainable and safe future.

widowchaser
widowchaser

A good read, Oliver. Not very often that I read a story where I end up taking sides for the Computer! And such admirable and noble purpose, such loyalty! What with all the Daleks, Cylons, and Terminators, it seems like I'm always hoping the machines will FAIL, if humanity is to survive! Nice turn-about in this work, ascribing emotions like loyalty, sense of purpose, and honor to the machine.

princeheir
princeheir

yay thanks for the recommendation Oliver :)