How do you like the new theme for Hentairules ? :)

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (113 votes, average: 3.90 out of 5)
By Oliver (AKA the Admin) on 137 comments
in Categories: Just Talking

Hello there, everyone!

I just switched Hentairules to a new theme, do you like it ? :-)
I know there would be still lots of things to improve, but I thought the new theme was already good to use as it is, I hope you’ll also enjoy it ^_^

Do you see things that are bad and would need to be improved ?

The perks, in my opinion, is that it is mobile-friendly, it will scale down to the devices, and I also turned off ad blocks for people with a smartphone. It is also very easy to customize without digging, as I had to do before, deep into the source code.
The previous theme had caused Google to penalize Hentairules (too mobile unfriendly), and I didn’t dare change anything anymore or almost, because almost everything was hard-coded; here, it’s more relaxing for me, haha.

On the other hand, I know there are still some bugs to fix, like…

– the bottom of page text, in white, is sometimes pushed against a white background, depending on the device you’re using
– the very old posts in which I was using tables (like this one) : I just don’t find WHERE I can force the CSS to show its texts in the current grey against a transparent background, ARGH! Any help about it, maybe, please ? T__T For the moment those old posts still look like shit ^^;;
– I’ll have to do something about my customized emoticons, created to have a different background. I even wrote [ .wp-smiley { background-color: transparent !important; } ] in the site’s custom.css file , and yet the emoticons still get a white background, I just don’t understand how and why

Some other things would need to be improved, and I would welcome suggestions, such as:
– the link colors in the posts are in dull blue, don’t you think ? I DO welcome actual suggestions with precise color recommendations, I would really appreciate it!
– the part around the main download links has become weird, I’ll have to replace it
– the color of the hyperlinks in sidebar is dull (although I don’t dislike how it is, all in grey-white)
– maybe different fonts here and there ?
– the two horizontal menus on top of the site: they are not automatically generated, but “populated” by hand. I am not sure what to put, or not put, in them :o
– there’s something wrong about the location and size of the star ratings, something seems to override their size and positioning

(for reference, you can view the old theme, for the moment, on my testing ground)

Your feedback is more than welcome, and, all in all, I certainly hope you will love that new appearance :)

Hypo
Hypo

It looks very nice, but I find it a little to bright with so much white over dark background.

The strange thing is, even if I've been visiting your site every day for so many years, I can't even remember from yesterday the difference in text/background contrast. But I swear that there is a significant difference in that contrast, at least to my eyes.

Is there a way to select the theme with a URL parameter or something so we can compare both?

Reply to  Hypo

Hey Hypo :)

That's how memory works, it doesn't store what it trusts it can find again without wasting energy, huhu.

Here, have a look at http://www.olivertest.net/ : I restored in there the previous theme of hentairules. This is also on it that I tested the new theme before applying to hentairules, now the situations are reversed :D

anno
anno

keep the old style please

Reply to  anno

Can't.

Google hated it to death (it cost me traffic, they're now putting a penalty on mobile-unfriendly sites), and its management was a super hell for me, because everything inside it was hard-coded over the years, it was in constant risk of entirely breaking down because of the tiniest possible mistake.

So, basically, I had no choice but to change, the only choice left was: towards WHAT to change.

hypo2
hypo2

missing article TAGS

Hypo
Hypo

Oh yes, that's useful!

Just the text color and the background image make a big difference, but now I can see the specific detail on why it looks so different ^^ :
the text blocks between post content and comments are missing, and the "page content column" is larger than before.

Personally, I think the old colors for text and links looked better.
Are you gonna tweak the theme styles?

@snake42069

the only thing that i would change is that i would put "Home" as the first clickable option instead of "Highest Rated" and "Most Rated". its just a personal preference really.

Reply to  @snake42069

Ah, right. I'm also already missing that option… Yes… that should become needed real quick…

Boom
Boom

Nice but we don't have any rating now :(

@snake42069
Reply to  Boom

i was just about to post about this.

Reply to  @snake42069

Wut ?
Why aren't there ratings ?!?
They weren't supposed to disappear O_o

Oh, sigh. I'll have to look into that!

Hypo
Hypo

Ratings are working nice now :D

Reply to  Hypo

Yeah, but it's a sad pity that I had to manually edit one of the theme's php files to get them working.

HERESY!
SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!
:D

I'll see later if I can place it better, but at least, now it's working!

furupawa
furupawa

tbh it was a shock for me…
but that's ok ( from a simple pc user perspective) i just have to make me used to the new background (i liked the old one more)…and, it's me or the space used for the actual content is a bit bigger?
all in all, that's ok as long as it makes your work easier :)

Reply to  furupawa

Frankly, Google hated to death the old theme, so I had no choice but to change. Starting from this, the main question was: to WHAT should I change. I had to make a choice, at some point, and I liked that one ^^

The fact that everything was hard-coded also made my life much harder, now, it's simpler to handle, definitely.

Yes, the content width got bigger. Since now it's shrinking if the viewer device is small, why not make usage of the available pixels, when the screen of the visitor is large enough!

@snake42069

also, the font for post titles is a little difficult to read.

Reply to  @snake42069

How about the new current one ?

There are more fonts available, here's their list:

I don't know yet which ones will be the final choices :3

It looks pretty good for the most part, but I'm noticing that if the browser window isn't wide enough, the entire sidebar is getting forced to the bottom, below anything else. It's not really that big an issue though.

Reply to  Guest

Yeah, but that's the whole point about mobility, is it not ? ^^

What I could do, to make it easier, is to make the ads disappear even when we're shrinking down to a tablet's width, for the moment that's only happening with phones.

I don't understand why the sidebars can't stay next to each other but get under eatch other when the screen's width goes small but not minuscule. Go figure, sigh.

andri
andri

look nice

@Kairosen

Very nice!! I like it…

Reply to  @Kairosen

Woohoo, at last someone liked it!! :D Thank you :D

Qwerty
Qwerty

Page froze for 5 seconds… My browser dislikes it, but I think it is nice.

Reply to  Qwerty

Oops ?

If it happens again, please, let me know O_o

Jiyeon
Jiyeon

hi, background is fine but i find the font style for the post titles hard to read, it makes my eyes hurt. the other font style is ok :D

Reply to  Jiyeon

I switched to a new one, how about it ?

There are more fonts available, here's their list:

I don't know yet which ones will be the final choices :3

Ullr
Ullr

The post title font seems harder to read. Background too bright compared to the foremost background.

Reply to  Ullr

I switched to a new one, how about it ?

There are more fonts available, here's their list:

I don't know yet which ones will be the final choices :3

Also, I'll see about the font color, indeed, maybe make it dimmer, or opt to an orange or green color… Ah, I don't know what to choose here…

sancho

i like it, but the background image its a big nope to me xD

Reply to  sancho

What did you expect, a gaping mosaics-censored pussy ? :D

Hypo
Hypo

Même pas cap!! :p

Reply to  Hypo

Vrai :D

sancho

maybe just black? dunno

and of course the banned size xD

but of course it's just me, a shame i can't use something like wikiwand for every site i want :p

Reply to  sancho

Wikihentairuleswand, yeah, I like the idea… not, lol ^^;;

You're meaning a larger banner would be better, Sancho ?

sancho

yeah, it's feels odd to me, maybe making it a png with transparece instead that white background could solve it heh

Daemoniak
Daemoniak

Mixed feelings for me:

– on the one hand I really liked having a single page with all the titles, as I could memorize the last title I had checked out (okay, I'll admit, my PC memorized it for me) and then start from there, whereas now I have to go several pages back to find it
– on the other hand, having the summary immediately is cool

Can't have my cake and eat it too I guess, so do what feels best for you!

Reply to  Daemoniak

Hmm, what do you mean, "having a single page with all the titles" ?
I have no idea what you're speaking about ^^

Mind you, the same goes for "having the summary immediately" O_o

Asdrubale
Asdrubale

Only one complain: titles now are hard to read.

Reply to  Asdrubale

How about now, I tested almost randomly a new font.

There are more fonts available, here's their list:

I don't know yet which ones will be the final choices :3

Kardano
Kardano

Post name…. than BIG rating STARS than another post, then BIG rating stars…. firefox 39 2 diferent PCs. OK in Chrome, OK in IE.

Kardano
Kardano
Reply to  Kardano

It is OK. Just now. and title is other font than before.

Reply to  Kardano

Haha, I guess you came in the middle of my experiments in trying to get a good position for the ratings area, and also in trying to get them bigger.

I tried to css-enlarge the stars, but for some reason they stayed minuscule. Looks like my enlargement attempts worked for you, that's weird O_o

Reply to  Kardano

Hmm, I'm not sure, Kardano, what is the issue ? You're seeing twice the rating stars ?

some random dude
some random dude

yeah I agree with some guys here, the title is really hard to read.

Admin

How about now, I tested almost randomly a new font.

There are more fonts available, here's their list: http://www.worldsgreatestjames.com/the-289-woothe….

I don't know yet which ones will be the final choices :3

TndX
TndX

Better order and good use of color. I like it. May i make a sugestion?: a contest for a new banner. The old one is, well, old, and the size and color doesnt match with the theme…

Reply to  TndX

Ah ?

But… But… I like that one ^^;;

Mind you, I also liked the old design, even if I had to change it (for reasons explained above in two replies) nonetheless.

I can't say, though, that the font is perfect, it's too bright. I'll have to ask around, or read in the present comments, if there aren't better options.colors.luminosity settings…

LixMiRec
LixMiRec
Reply to  TndX

Nooo….. I like the old one.
It's the charm of Hentairules.
No other site have it.
Maybe Oliver-san can change the girl every week or every month. :p

Reply to  LixMiRec

That would be fun… if I had the skill :D

The idea of a contest is making its way, now…

That said, LixMiRec, I can't keep the old theme. Google hated it (the site suffered a penalty, recently, because it was mobile unfriendly), and me, from the inside, I was growing terrified of changing anything, because everything in the site was hard-coded, in hazardous balance, there were things that were working even though I had no idea how they weren't broken (they SHOULD, supposedly, but, no). Here, it's a good clean start, that's another reason to like it ^^

Sanzo01
Sanzo01

hi i like the look, but as others already said the brightness level between the font and background is pretty high which makes it much harder to read. If i i turn my background light from my TV to zero it's getting better but unfortunately it was better before

Reply to  Sanzo01

Yeah, we all pretty much agree on this :D

I just opted for a greyer font in the posts, I think it's much less tiring for the eye…

You're seeing an improvement, by chance ?

Hypo
Hypo

Hey, that gray one looks nice.

I was refreshing the page to see the new comments and thought that my screen was changing, had to look into FF inspector to see that you changed the color code.

Now it's getting real good to read, nice work!

kinky
kinky

decent new theme overall, i like that you kept it basementdweller-compatible. also like the larger text font. only thing bugging me is the non standard title font, because it seems like a purely cosmetic choice that inhibits readability.

Reply to  kinky

You missed the previous one for the titles, that looked like a gothic lolita on steroids randomly chose among her least favorite fonts : this IS an improvement, lol.

Cough, more seriously. This comics-looking font, it's bad, really ?
I didn't see it as an obstacle to readability, for instance.

If you look at this fonts list, http://www.worldsgreatestjames.com/the-289-woothe… , would you find another one to recommend ?

Frankly, I would like to stray away from Verdana and Arial, or even from Helvetica. A bit of fresh air, you know :)

kinky
kinky

I have to say the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a comic-font for titles. Should be very readable to the crowd here, for all the *reading* we all do, and makes sense in regards to the context as well. Maybe go all in and use the one from the comics?

How about this one http://www.ffonts.net/000_INSOMNIAC_COMIC_DIALOGU
(free to use)

here's one with lower caps, but not sure about licensing (listed under free fonts, no "all rights reserved" comment) http://www.ffonts.net/AmateurComic.font

Reply to  kinky

Hmm, no, those fonts looked too raggedy, too weird, I think. I'll see how it fares with the current one for a bit longer :)

kinky
kinky
Reply to  kinky

Seems you changed it to a more readable one while I was writing the above. The new one makes sense, too, looking like a comic-font and all.

kkai
kkai

I like it! I liked the old one too but if this helps your rankings then all the better. RSS feeds were out for a bit but they came back, thanks especially for that. :D

Protato
Protato

Hi. I'm a mobile user and kinda surprised when I first saw it, I have to refresh the page to make sure I'm in the right site lol. My concerns are; first, the space of my screen is narrow so the texts, pictures, etc had been compressed to the screen size so now it's always like my screen is always zoomed, second, the old theme have the tags on the lower part of the box on individual mangas. I'm more comfortable in the older theme but as I read the old theme have problem with google (heck dunno anything 'bout that) so it's just my concern/opinion for the latest theme, can't complain more as the admin/s are approchable and active. Thanks~

Protato
Protato
Reply to  Protato

Ah yeah, may I suggest that if you can just have an option for those people who wants to stay in the older theme? If just possible.. Sorry and thank you :D

Ps. I know it's alot to ask but yeah.. :))

Reply to  Protato

There may exist plugins to achieve that result, I'll see if I can do something about it :)

I'm not promising anything, mind you, to be frank. I will see ^^

Protato
Protato

Thanks! It'll be great that happen :D good luck! :)

Reply to  Protato

Damn, I have bad news: I tested a theme switcher, and those kinds of thing only work when there is no caching, neither at server level (there is) or at blog admin level (there is). The theme switchers I tried would work for one, two pages, and then revert to the current new theme.

I'll have to search a bit more if there are ways to still make it work. I'm not giving up yet, but I now make it a longer term endeavour.

Modius
Modius
Reply to  Protato

> the old theme have the tags on the lower part of the box on individual mangas

yep !!! add tags to the main listing pls

Reply to  Modius

The tags are still here, and still at the bottom, Modius, I don't see where there is a problem about them. Please, can you elaborate ? :)

kudo
kudo

i prefer the old one

unknown 2015
unknown 2015

hello sir, can't you keep the archieve section (post compiled in this site by year) as the same as older version? it's kind of tired to keep pressing 'next' and looking for manga, its same as 'home' section now (post with spoiler/pict/stuff/etc).. the old version of 'archieve' section is more convenient, because when i load a page with only title list..

Reply to  unknown 2015

Ah, I didn't notice this. Thanks for telling me!

Hmm… Well… Argh, that will require to look into post types, to change how archives post types are dealt with. I'll have to look into this, I also need this from times to times, so I'll look into this, but I cannot promise a very fast result.

Brian
Brian

Hey Oliver, for some reason, when I view the page in Chrome and Firefox, the rating stars are like 1000 times their normal size, and take up most of the post. Hopefully this is just an HTML glitch.

Reply to  Brian

I recommend you hit control-F5, that resulted from an earlier experiment, and it should be gone with an empty cache…

Gamon
Gamon

Oh,it's Cool and Looking good,i like that…Well done.

here are few suggest.

make text little more large font with "Open the Complete Pictures Gallery" like that you did with "Download the Free Hentai Manga in a Zip file".

maybe i missing some..do the site have a "Genre" with seach ? some like mother,incest,big boobs,school etc,,a easy searcg stuff ?

long lige Hnetairules ! :)

Reply to  Gamon

About this, Gamon, I found the new template doesn't bolden the texts surrounded by < b >, as were all my posts.

I just ran a search-and-replace, in database, to replace < b > with < strong >, same for the closing tags, and now it should make a visible difference.

Is that good enough in your eyes ?

Gamon
Gamon

Yeah all are good..only one need to better function is the search system. take your time.

note to all.. if text is small then user the googler or firefox to zoom in then all font will be more big text :)

Gamon
Gamon
Reply to  Gamon

one more…the titel will be better if change from white to light Blue ? hmph.

battousai124
battousai124

I actually thought I had been redirected to another page until I saw the last share a little bit lower.
It looks good and I clicked every link on the upper part of the site they are all working as intended.

Bit of criticism if I may, the space above and below your banner on the upper part of the site smaller and maybe the "random share" above the ad (which right now shows some kind of porn kim possible and another show's crossover) and the search function a bit bigger and more obvious, like a white (or other color) "framing".

Welp, thats it for me.

Reply to  battousai124

Hmm, I'll see if I can adjust heights… Not sure yet, but I keep that in mind. Thank you for the testing, Battousai ^^

battousai124
battousai124

No Problem, since HR is my most favorite Hentai site (and the Standard for my Folder naming (there is only nothing and (Non-HR) ^^ ) I thought I help out a tiny bit.

Mike
Mike

it looks nice

LaW
LaW

the Red color of the post date is not much clear and the blue downloading links could be sky blue i thibk thts better

Much apriciated

Reply to  LaW

Yeah, but only those links, or ALL links, in a brighter blue ?
Takind opinions :D

Psycog2
Psycog2

i really like the fact you could choose youre page with the open sliding box thing that was pretty cool to go back to page 37 instead of clicking a bunch of time

Reply to  Psycog2

I didn't notice that had been lost, thanks for mentioning it!

I added a poor workaround, for the moment, that will do. Well, to be frank, it annoys me, it won't place the dropdown list on the same line as the introductory text, ARGH! :D

Psycog2
Psycog2

hey no problem man i happy to see it back! glad i could help !

Lurker
Lurker

I mostly like the new design. If you're still working on making colors easy on the eyes, take a look at: http://ethanschoonover.com/solarized/img/screen-chttp://ethanschoonover.com/solarized
It matches the old theme better, but there's some info there about text contrast etc.

I apparently missed an even worse font, but I really don't like the current title font (Allan?). I guess you're looking for something decorative and eye-catching, though. From your list, the fonts *Amaranth*, *Expletus Sans*, and *Philosopher* match the overall design, *Volkhov* looks really nice, or, if you want to keep the comic theme, *Architects Daughter*.

Lurker
Lurker
Reply to  Lurker

Also, some pages put a white box around the picture, and the light text falls into it. Can't read the first part of http://www.hentairules.net/2012/08/12/practice-ga… or http://www.hentairules.net/2011/05/01/k-on-hentai

Reply to  Lurker

Those are the old posts with tables.

I used them to have texts on the right and images on the left.

Argh.

In the short term, I thought of fixing where, in the CSS, there was a mention to have the background of tables all in white.. but I just can't find it ?!?

Reply to  Lurker

I tried everything I could, but their background and color are unfixable with my level of skill, it looks like O_o

If someone with more skill can look at the site's CSS and tell me what I ought to change (ideally with an update to the custom.css, if needed with !important, rather than editing the main style.css), really, that would be super cool !

Sir-luffy
Sir-luffy

the only problem I see is the search :'(

now it doesn't give you any preview pic

Reply to  Sir-luffy

Yeah, I found that's a bother. I don't know how to fix it yet, but it's added to my to-do list :)

Sir-luffy
Sir-luffy

good luck with that man

I hope you can fix it

Zarniwoop
Zarniwoop

I prefer the new look! I had a problem loading the page initially but it works fine now. I also find it a bit easier to read now, except for the links – but that's probably more due to my crappy ageing eyesight!

Reply to  Zarniwoop

Maybe not, what would be wrong with the links, Zarniwoop ?

Zarniwoop
Zarniwoop

Just a teensy bit hard to read against the dark background.

Fourtoone
Fourtoone

Hey Oliver! (Greetings all! 6th year lurker here.)

I second the first poster about text being a tad too bright, but how about keeping it this way for a few months or maybe a brighter background like the last one.

Portait mode is Ace. In landscape mode, maybe put the Kim Possible ad, one page down?

Edit: Also; While thumbing up some of the comments, I accidentally down voted a poor chap by the name Hypo. Sausage fingers or poor design?

Reply to  Fourtoone

I'm sure Hypo won't mind :D

On tablets, I think I'll turn off the ads too, finally. I don't know why, though, on tablets, the two sidebars don't stay stuck to each other, there's room enough for two O_o

Umbal
Umbal

What is this? Where am I?!
My beloved, homey, doted background is gone… *sob*.

Well, you got to do what you got to do.

Personally I don`t like blue links on a blue backgound all that much.
And I feel like the bright red "continue reading"- button is screaming at me.

Reply to  Umbal

I can adjust things like that, it would be much easier if you came with practical suggestions ;)

Sorry to impose that change on you, it was half imposed on me, half a choice because the previous theme had become unmanageable, touching anything caused me fear it would break once again without me finding why.

Geno
Geno

10/10 because of white and dark blue scheme. It's really cool to the eyes. Great Job.

Reply to  Geno

You came too late, the original full WHITE text color would have blasted your retina to the back of your skull :D

Geno
Geno

That only means I came at the right time. Ufufufufu :3

Too bad I wasn't around when you were still fixing things up, I would've requested that page buttons be placed at the top as well. It would help ease the part where we have to scroll down just to change pages.

MHM
MHM

Looks IN-teresting enough – will probably require time to (how-to-say-it) "get acclimatized" to it. ^_^

Anon
Anon

Yeah a people say, it's a bit difficult to read with the current color scheme. Although the only big complaint I have is the title font, it's a bit too fancy

Mederic64
Mederic64

I think it's nice overall. I have some opinions that are the same as some others. But maybe I can suggest a new banner for the new theme? The current one looks so lonely and isolated.

Reply to  Mederic64

You're not the only one suggesting it, I will think of it, Mederic :)

I'm far from being a skilled designer or webmaster, so if you have practical, actual suggestions for colors and typography, don't hesitate firing away :)

Shimigami
Shimigami

I remember there was multiples of link on the very bottom where there is all time favourites and something like “You shouldn’t miss this” hentai.

I kind of miss that part that i used to go.

Reply to  Shimigami

I removed it, after finding it had been two years I didn't find the time or desire to edit it. Not enough time, sadly.

Still, if you want, I kept a backup of its contents, look: http://www.hentairules.net/misc/table_for_best_of

Anony-mouse
Anony-mouse

Pretty snazzy!:D The only thing is that the cursive font (or any cursive font) in the titles doesn't really work with the new theme. Also, I know you like the old banner but, again, it doesn't look good now (and it's way too small). Fresh start, fresh banner!

loplop

I haven't been around for several days, so this was a surprise. I like the layout & the typeface – Very easy to read. My only issue is that I view the site on a WQXGA (2560×1600) monitor, so It's shrunk a little bit from the old version.

NYCfapper
NYCfapper

One of the best redesigns of a site I have ever seen…

Reply to  NYCfapper

\o/
\o/
\o/
\o/
\o/

tgawgawg aw
tgawgawg aw

make DATES more visible

nighia
nighia

NEEDS TAGS
other than that perfect :)

Reply to  nighia

FIXED!

IT TOOK ME AN HOUR, I HAD TO MAKE CHANGES THAT EVEN A FUCKING CHILD THEME WOULDN'T ALLOW, BUT I FUCKING GOT IT!

RHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Alec Hardison
Alec Hardison

When browsing through the frontpage I´m missing the useful Categories and Tags information at the bottom of the article preview.

One recent example is:

“Categories : English Translated, Original Manga

Tags : happy sex > happy sex with love > Vanilla > WAFF”

This is missing now.

Please add this to the new design as I was heavily relying on that information to decide whether to look at a new post.

Thanks.

Either way, I love your work and your homepage. :)

Reply to  Alec Hardison

The categories are at the top of the post, for the moment.

And I just added the tags below them.

It's still green around the edges, but come on, I'm rushing like mad, I'm leaving on holidays in two days, it's already nice I hope :D

ayle
ayle

How about blended the banner with the background? It looks way to small now.

Reply to  ayle

What do you mean, blending ?

Others also told it's too small, I'll see about that.

footstool
footstool

As some others have said, the tag information is missing on the front page.
That's my only complaint, other than that it seems fine to me.

Superschwul
Superschwul

to align the dropdown list of pages, add this to your css
.wp-pagenavi, .wp-pagenavi form { display: inline; }

Reply to  Superschwul

YESSSSS!!

It worked!!

Thank you so much, Superschwul!!

I finally kept it lef-aligned, as it made the dropdown list perfectly position itself below in the middle ^^

Superschwul
Superschwul

yay ^^ you're welcome

kcz117
kcz117

Thumbs up on the design.

Reply to  kcz117

Thanks, I did everything myself.

*gigacough*

Superschwul
Superschwul

about the old posts that use tables, you can fix them by editing wp-content/themes/canvas/styles.css around line 3748.
delete the rules for ".entry table" that specify background, borders and box-shadow.