Do you still see issues with the new theme for Hentairules ?

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (15 votes, average: 3.33 out of 5)
By Oliver (AKA the Admin) on 33 comments
in Categories: Just Talking

Hey there, everyone :)

I’ve spent a good lot of time on the new theme of Hentairules, in order to fix the issues I was aware of.
I also re-shaped the top of the posts (the categories, tags, author). I brought back the mention of the Gigatorrent in all posts older than 2015. I also brought back the Navi dropdown list of pages. I brought back a Search widget in the sidebar (mobile users will have to deal with the shitty nanoscopic icon, sorry about that.)
And, heck, tons of little fixes here and there.

At this point, I’m not fully done, but I think we’re getting close. There are things like seeking a new larger top-of-website banner, for instance. (But for the background, me, I like those bubbles :D ) There are also the emoticons that aren’t vertically middle-aligned in the lines, I just noticed :shock: There are also those goddamn rating stars that refuse to be aligned with their text even when I apply fixes that are working in other people’s browsers when they use their own code inspector, FFS.

Please, can you tell me, do you still see bugs or problems with the new theme of Hentairules?
If you see problems that I failed to notice (or, as much likely, that you already reported but I forgot T__T ), thank you VERY MUCH to tell me in the comments, I’ll keep on trying to fix them :)

Svarty
Svarty

No problem at all, till day before yesterday I wanted to ask where the search tool had gone, and then I stumbled on the little magifying glass icon, not visible enough by my taste but I won't make an issue of it now that I know it's there

Qwerty
Qwerty

Still freezes for 30 seconds once I visit the site… after that it works perfectly normal though. I use Opera btw. Anyone else with that kind of problem?

Oliver
Oliver
Reply to  Qwerty

Hmm, I just tested with Opera (it's Oliver, here) for the first time with the new theme, and I'm not having any 30-seconds freeze upon loading…

@snake42069
Reply to  Qwerty

does opera use extensions? idk, becaue i use chrome. Some extensions on both chrome and firefox (back when i used that) could freeze alot of sites for a few seconds. Its all a part of the loading process while the extension does its thing. For me, what causes a 1 or 2 second freeze is my flash blocker, which blocks all video's from auto-playing. doesnt affect ads. If you have one of those extensions installed, try disabling it and viewing the page.

Qwerty
Qwerty
Reply to  @snake42069

It does but I installed none. Firefox and Chrome work perfectly fine, I only have this issue with Opera. I guess I´ll use the 30 Seconds to grab a drink, take a pee or rearrange my tissue collection (for Feng-Shui reasons obv.)
Maybe the problem will solve itself over time.

Alec Hardison
Alec Hardison

Will there be a voting System for the tags again like with the old theme?

Also, is there a possibility for a search feature where you can search for multiple tags at once?
Like e.g. search for posts with tags "threesome" and "happy sex" in one search.

Other than that, I haven´t noticed any bugs yet.

Kepp up the good work and thanks! :)

jbk
jbk

Hi there Oliver about the header for post in the new theme for this website I sent you an e-mail to [email protected] with a modification that fix the problem with the issue about vertically middle-aligned of the emoticons and the stars, also provide a better view of the information for the mobile users.

I hope it helps you at least a little. And by the way thank you for all your hard work.

oldbrokenhands
oldbrokenhands

For the last time NO!

Let me put this in perspective:
-I'm getting high quality hentai for free and without malware
-the downloads work
-I can search for books fairly easily
-It's readable on mobile devices

Folks simply hate change, it's understandable. But it's not like you went full Windows 8 on us after we got used to XP. You didn't do it that badly.

Oliver AKA The Admin
Admin
Reply to  oldbrokenhands

Haha, going full windows 8, that's an evil comparison ^^;;

Nah, I'm asking for bugs and actual improvement suggestions, I'm indeed not going after whining :)

sonnyboy6
sonnyboy6

Thank you for this great website. The new layout is cool, but….
the search function in the upper right corner is quite fussy… at least on my XP system,
as in it is difficult to type in a search word. You have to position the mouse cursor just so, then move it to the pop-up entry point, but then it often vanishes when you move there. Another way to say it – clicking near the search 'window' does not always activate a typing cursor. I don't know if anyone else is experiencing this problem or not. I liked the old search entry method that used a stationary text entry box.
Thx again.

sonnyboy6
sonnyboy6
Reply to  sonnyboy6

Dooohhh!! Well, now I feel silly. I just found the search box! Kindly disregard the message above. Cheers!

Oliver AKA The Admin
Admin
Reply to  sonnyboy6

No worries, I only added it yesterday, it's understandable you may have missed it.

Pity I can't make the search box appear for mobile users only, and the search box for non-mobile users only. That was too much to ask from the theme's engine :o

hchiutx
hchiutx

Functionality wise, cool. Suggestion: dark blue over black feels very "heavy". Some white background banners such as "hentairules" on the top used to be ok but now looks out of place. It's like home decorating. The best decorations have the carpet, the wall, leading up to the window and pictures on the wall, and the furniture each on a complementary color/tone. Even sharp contrasting colors are actually complimentary on the color wheel. You might try playing with other background colors and themes to soften things up.

Oliver AKA The Admin
Admin
Reply to  hchiutx

Well, about this, I really, simply, totally suck. I opted for all "all-already-set" template for a reason ^^

If you have actual suggestions, with color #numbers for precise areas, or you're good at photoshop, I welcome constructive suggestions, and I'm not just being polite when I say this :)

Sigel
Sigel

I don't really like background colour for articles. On my screen it's slightly too green compared to both the background from the title and the rest of the site which makes it feels a bit unnatural to me. From testing, on my screen #131f32 ends up the most seamless with the title.

Even tho the difference is very little, it feel is much better overall in my opinion.

If you prefer having a seam between the title and the article, I quite like a slightly blue dark grey like #1b1b25.

Oliver AKA The Admin
Admin
Reply to  Sigel

Your observation was quite right, I wouldn't have noticed, but, yeah, there was this greenish taint O_o

Fixed, it's better now, thank you :)

Regarding the second color, #1b1b25, I don't see what you mean, about a "seam" between the title and the article ?

Sigel
Sigel

A seam is a border between two different fabrics (it’s a sewing term). Seamless means that such a border is invisible.
So the second color was an idea in case you preferred to have a visible difference between the title and the article itself.

jbk
jbk

OK, then baby steps. First things first, then I'm gonna try to fix the rating, maybe is doable with css3 and flex. And about the other things, those really are a huge mess but it works so I think is fine for now as you say, so let's call it a day for you, and again thank you for your hard work.

Alexandrine Library
Alexandrine Library

The only problem I have is personal. I used to save some of your analyses in MHT format and then edit them in MS-Word, and the result used to be great. Now when I open the MHT file, there is a disastrous blue background that did not exist before. Anyway, I believe no one else is interested in that sort of edition, so…

Kraatu
Kraatu

Hey Oliver, I've visited hentairules for years now, and felt I could give something back.
I've threw some stuff on photoshop that might give you some inspiration. The bubbles and textures on the page felt a bit too much for me.

May hentairules prosper for many years to come. Thank you for all your hard work.

Kraatu
Kraatu
Reply to  Kraatu

I have put some green on the background since I became fond of the old background from the page. The red is complimentary to the green and is in tune with the banner. The font family is Gill Sans and I used a more cherryish red since it is more contemporary.

NekoO
NekoO

Hey Olivier, for me the serach options bugs a lot. I m using Mozilla firefox probably the latest version.
When i go in hover it show the input, but i cannot click on the input. It dissapear before i can click on it.

Bon boulot sinon Olivier.

Oliver AKA The Admin
Admin
Reply to  NekoO

Merci for the feedback, Neko :)

I want to be sure I understand what you mean. Are you speaking about the "live search" results, the suggestions that are shown as you are typing letters inside the search field ?

If this is it, I had no idea they could even "flicker", in my own case (which I believed to be universal) the results stay as they are until I either click a link or type new text (or delete the typed text).

May I ask you what device you are using, and where you type your text in the recently added (well, restored back) Search field in the sidebar, or after clicking the nanoscopic Search icon in the upper-right of the horizontal navigation menu ?

NekoO
NekoO

Hey Olivier !

Désolé ne pas avoir pu répondre plus tôt, je ne peux malheuresement pas naviguer tous les jours sur HentaiRules :p.

I've made you a video to show precisely the occuring bug, at the end of the video i show my browser infos (it took time because of video recording software).

Best regards,
NekoO

NekoO
NekoO
Reply to  NekoO

C'est mieux avec le lien mdr : http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2ef87tc%3E&s=

Oliver AKA The Admin
Admin
Reply to  NekoO

Ah ouais, d'accord, merci. Je sympathise parce que ça a l'air horriblement frustrant O_o

Par contre, je ne parviens pas à le reproduire. Va comprendre :(

Je *pense* comprendre pourquoi, remarque : ta souris part trop tôt à gauche et au moment où elle va passer dans le champ de recherche, elle est déjà en fait au-dessus du lien "Just talking".
La solution, faire un mouvement vertical et non en diagonale après avoir effleuré ce bouton de recherche.
Ou alors utiliser le champ de recherche apparu en sidebar…

Désolé du pépin, je ne sais pas pourquoi dans ton cas c'est extrême, mais je me garde un post-it mental à ce sujet…

NekoO
NekoO

Nooon ! Ne soit pas désolé, cela fait tellement d'années que je profite de l'énorme service que tu nous rends en nous proposant du hentai de telle qualité gratuitement. Je pensais avoir une solution simple à te proposer, mais après avoir jeté un coup d'oeil au code je vois que du CSS et pas de Javascript(bravo !!).

Bon courage si jamais tu en as le temps.

Si jamais tu as besoin d'un ingénieur spécialisé en .NET associé aux technologies du web n'hésite pas.

Au prochain post de ce genre ! Tchus !

Si

HentaiAddict
HentaiAddict

The only issue I see is the sheer unwavering awesomeness.
Free hentai in abundance? Fuck yeah!

Minor, minor, minor thing… on Android tablet using Chrome browser (don't know about other devices or browsers), the link trade, ads, twitter feed are all clustered at the bottom of the page rather than at the right.

As for genuine suggestions for improvement, that glorious HentaiRules banner needs to be a bit bigger, fill the space it occupies more fully.

Alec Hardison
Alec Hardison

Ok, I see. Thanks for the reply and explanation.

If this plugin you mention is not to complicated to implement and improves the search capability of the website I think you should go for it and give it a try, why not. :)

Thanks again for your site! :)

choochoo
choochoo

Oh? New Header Design contest? lols, or just some resizing of the old one?

Rogue
Rogue

Only issue I have is the size of the page buttons below the page. I didn't see them the first time I visited your newly updated site and it's relatively easy to miss them. It might be handier to navigate as well if those page number buttons were a little bit bigger.

tgkjdgfs
tgkjdgfs

the next page button is too small. i almost always hit the much larger "continue reading" button on the last post on a page instead of the next page button. please make it bigger

Daemoniak
Daemoniak

There are two "small" issues for me:

– I often read the posts in the order they were submitted, so I have to scroll up to read them, but when I get to the top of the page there is no navigation (pagination) button, so I have to scroll all the way down to get to the previous page.
– the first page (front) and second page (number 2) sometimes share a number of articles, it does not happen between the other pages that I noted.